Easy chicken casserole
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 2 hours
2 x whole chicken legs (including thighs)
1 x tin chopped tomatos (440g)
2 x carrots, sliced to 1/2cm thickness (skin on)
4 x rashers of smoked back bacon, chopped to 1cm strips
2 x tablespoon olive oil
1 x red onion coarsely chopped
1 x garlic clove, finely chopped
1 x red pepper, de-seeded and chopped into 2cm squares
50ml x Red wine
1 x Beef Oxo stock cube
1 x Dash of mushroom ketchup (or Worcestershire sauce)
Note: A casserole dish that can handle stove-top heat is required (such as this Le Creuset one).
- Place half the olive oil in the casserole dish along with the chopped garlic, onions and bacon. Allow to soften and cook through.
- Remove the softened garlic, onions and bacon from the pot and set aside.
- Place the remaining olive oi in the pan, increase the heat slightly and place the chicken legs in. Allow to brown on both sides.
- Add the tinned chopped tomatos, stir and reduce the heat so the tomatos simmer.
- Make up the beef oxo in the tomato tin and add the liquid to the casserole dish.
- Add carrots, red wine, red pepper and the dash of mushroom ketchup.
- Bring to the boil, turn the heat off, put the lid on and place in a pre-heated oven (150 degress fan-assisted, 160/170 convection) for 1.5 to 2 hours.
Check (and stir) the casserole every 30 minutes to determine the consistency of the sauce. If it's too thin for your liking after 1.5 hours, remove from the oven 15 minutes before serving, remove and set-aside the chicken legs (carefully, the meat will be very tender and fall off the bone). Place the casserole dish on the hob, and bring to the boil for ten minutes, stirring regularly until the sauce has thickened separately, reduce the heat to a low simmer and return the meat.
Would go well with creamy mash or rice.