Spicy chorizo and lentil soup
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
1 tin chopped tomatoes
75g chorizo (a picante one is best) sliced and then quartered
150g red split lentils, well washed
2tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 red onion finely chopped
2pts vegetable stock
75g fresh spinach, de-stalked and shredded
1/2tsp of chilli powder
1/2 tbsp of tomato puree
150g potato chopped to 1/2cm cubes
1/2 red bell pepper diced
- Cook the lentils according to the packet instructions, ensuring they retain a firm texture.
- Cook the chorizo in a saucepan with the olive oil and garlic until the oil is coloured and the chorizo cooked
- Set aside the chorizo pieces and cook the onion in the coloured olive oil until softened
- Add the tinned chopped tomatoes, shredded spinach, tomato puree, potato and red bell pepper to the onions and stir in well.
- Stir in the lentils, add the stock, reserved chorizo pieces and the chilli powder, simmer for five minutes.
This soup definitely improves as it ages, as with anything with some heat. It’s also entirely customisable how much heat you add to this. I usually add a small splash of a hot habanero sauce just to give it a real kick.