"French" onion soup
Prep Time: 20mins
Cook time: 1.5hrs
1 large red onion
1 large white onion
250ml dry white wine
3 beef Oxo stock cubes
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Thinly slice the onions and leek; prepare the leeks by "topping and tailing" them, cutting the leek in half lengthways and then slicing it thinly into "semi-circles" (2-3mm thickness).
- Place a large saucepan on the heat, add the butter and olive oil and allow the butter to melt.
- Add the onions, leek garlic and the sugar and stir until the onions have started to brown ever so slightly.
- Reduce the heat and allow the onions to cook for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Use the stock cubes to make 2 pints of stock (add boiling water), and add to the onions.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir the onions round well, removing all the caremalised onion from the base of the pan and mixing it into the liquid.
- Add the white wine to the pan and stir well, ensuring that the bottom of the pan is clear of caremalised onion.
- Allow it to simmer then immediately reduce to the lowest heat and reduce down for 1 hour, stirring ocasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper, then serve.